Back to Work

1:18 PM

After about 4 weeks of fun and considerably less workouts, it's time to get back into the swing of things.


Looking back at 2015 and being able to get those races under my belt was just fantastic. 
Left: 2014 races; Center: my 2015 races. Right: Greg's 2015 races.

  1. Camarillo Half was at a doable effort, considering that I was sick for the week preceding the race while I was in TX. And sick again when I came back to CA.
  2. The Bandit 6k was a pleasant surprise. My knee had been bothering me for a while, and I knew that it would be my last race for a long time until I could get that sorted out. I managed to come in with a 3rd place finish and 4th female overall. That race was no joke, and having a background in cross-country while NOT even looking at the trail prior was a risk. I am considering coming back and trying to go for an overall title, but I need to get some trail runs back into these legs first. Greg, his brother, and their family friend took home all the awards in the guys' division.
  3. Agoura 10k was a beautiful course that felt like the ranch runs back home. Greg and I ran this one and high-fived each other at the turn-around. I was disappointed with the way that I ran, but Greg did great! I hope that he makes it out to the race next year; I'm still on the fence due to my early season half a few weeks later.
  4. Dina Lavigna Olympic was my first crack at long course, and it was a good place to start. I had some trouble in the first loop of the swim course, but managed to pull through and bring it in on the second loop. The bike was a suck fest, three flat loops and I didn't eat or drink anything (HUGE mistake). The run was basically me walking due to the aforementioned nutrition mistakes. Ugh.
  5. Don't even get me started. Goleta Sprint was a nightmare. My back bike wheel spoke was broken the night before, right as I was doing my pre-race check. No bike stores were open, and I borrowed Greg's Orbea wheel which was so much faster than mine. However...I dropped my chain in transition and that was a time suck, especially because the bike course was narrow and it would be hard to make that time up. I hammered a little too hard (16mph vs. my typical 15ish) and made up for it on the 2.5 mile run. Again, no run training. But the swim was actually surprisingly fine.
  6. EVERYTHING led up to Ironman Santa Cruz 70.3. Just finishing was something that I never thought possible. Especially because I didn't know how to swim last year, just purchased an entry-level road bike with all my money, and had a frustrating recurring knee injury. That finish line was the biggest moment of my life so far. Completing the 70.3 was incredible, and I was so surprised at how I stayed mentally strong the entire day. I'm hoping to take that with me into my next season...
The focus over the next few weeks is to get some consistent swimming, cycling, and running. More about the miles and cleaning up form, less about the pace.

If your dreams don't scare you, they aren't big enough...right?

When I write in all caps, it's serious business.




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts